10.6.10

Louise Bourgeois 1911 - 2010


I'm a bit late with this post, but I felt it was necessary.

Last week artist and sculptor Louise Bourgeois died aged 98. To me, she was one of the greatest living sculptors of our time. She created personal works that, while not literal in form, were understandable by anyone.
While only widely acknowledged when into her 70's she quickly became a figure of international praise from artists and the general public. I went to see her retrospective a few years ago at the Tate Modern. At first I was dubious, then amazed and in the end hugely warmed to this firey old French lady who wore a beret and stared defiantly out of photographs at the world. Her work was honest and she would openly talk about her childhood and relationship with her parents as a major driving force behind her work even at the end of her life.

Most modern artists and sculptors claim to be influenced by her, but I think she is inspirational across the board. I once saw a documentary about Louise Bourgeois. In one scene an artist seeking her advice explains to her how difficult he was finding inspiration and making work. Never one for art-speak, Louise - painting constantly throughout the scene - without looking up shouts, 'If you don't feel it why do you do it!" That was the moment I decided she was great.

Always experimenting and making work constantly up until she died Louise Bourgeois is what I would call a true artist. Driven by her need to express her thoughts and feelings in ever changing forms. Whether the world saw it or not I have the feeling that she would be compelled to create. And that is an amazing human trait.

This is my homage to Louise Bourgeois, her maman and her feet.





No comments: