Mostly due to James Franco's extreme good looks, I have become interested in the Beatnik Poets, have read half of Allen Ginsberg's infamous Howl and bought On The Road by Jack Kerouac. While we may lament the truth of the genre becoming potentially bastardized and 'Hollywood-ized' under Franco's Rayban's and perfectly sculpted cheekbones, the new biopic on Ginsberg will undoubtedly provoke interest in the movement from younger generations - which can only be a good thing, right?
Being one of the aforementioned myself, I have wikipedia-ed the shit out of the subject and have come across a few gems that I hope you will find of interest. This is my favourite: It is Kerouac's Belief and Technique for Modern Prose, a list of 30 'essentials,' particularly if you plan to be inspired by/ copy his Spontaneous Prose method.
- Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for your own joy
- Submissive to everything, open, listening
- Try never get drunk outside your own house
- Be in love with your life
- Something that you feel will find its own form
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
- Blow as deep as you want to blow
- Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
- The unspeakable visions of the individual
- No time for poetry but exactly what is
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
- Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
- Like Proust be an old teahead of time
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
- Accept loss forever
- Believe in the holy contour of life
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
- Don't think of words when you stop but to see picture better
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
- Write for the world to read and see your exact pictures of it
- Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
- In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
- You're a Genius all the time
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven
(Apparently a 'teahead' is a weed junkie. If you know the derivation, I'd love to hear it. Perhaps because your mind goes all foggy and warm like a cup o' chai?) I particularly like Number 6 - Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind.
Despite, on closer inspection, discovering that Allen Ginsberg resembled Tobias Funke rather more than your R-Pattz-style Hollywood heartthrob, I am still not put off - I'm a gonna see that movie.
Also, in a completely unrelated comment, I just learned the term 'Lurker' in relation to blogs and blogging. Apparently this is someone who peruses blogs but does not comment on what they read. But I'm sure you, dear reader, are not one of those kind of creeps, are you? You want to contribute and discuss, right? Come on, don't a stranger, leave a comment like the best minds of our generation, not destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, but sane, clothed and conversational.